Farmhouse kitchens are all the rage right now. But what exactly is a farmhouse kitchen? What makes it different from other styles of kitchens? And why are farmhouse kitchens so popular right now?
In this blog post, we will answer all of those questions and more. We will discuss the elements that make up a farmhouse kitchen, the different types of farmhouse decor you can add to your kitchen, and whether or not farmhouse style is going out of fashion. So if you’re thinking about updating your kitchen space, read on for everything you need to know about farmhouse kitchens!
What is a farmhouse kitchen?
Farmhouse kitchens are a type of kitchen that is characterized by their rustic style and country charm. They often have an open layout, with ample space for cooking and dining. Farmhouse kitchens also typically feature a farmhouse sink, wooden cabinets, and exposed beams. It is a place where you can cook up a storm and entertain your guests all at the same time.
Farmhouse kitchens are popular right now because they offer a cozy and comfortable atmosphere that is perfect for both cooking and relaxing. They also have a lot of character, which sets them apart from other types of kitchen styles.
Many of our customers at Calahan Batha and Kitchen that have requested updates to their kitchen are drawn to farmhouse kitchens because they want a space that is both functional and beautiful. And luckily, farmhouse kitchens can be customized to fit any budget or style preference.
What makes a farmhouse kitchen?
You know you like the style and feel of the farmhouse look. But if you want to create them in your own space, what are the elements that bring your vision to life?
Here is a list of some farmhouse kitchen must-haves:
- A farmhouse sink. This is a must in any farmhouse kitchen! A farmhouse sink is typically made of porcelain or ceramic, and it has a deep basin that is perfect for washing big pots and pans. In my opinion, the bigger the sink, the better.
- Wooden cabinets. Farmhouse kitchens are known for their warm and rustic feel, and one easy way to achieve that look is by using wooden cabinets. They can be painted or stained in any color you like, but I recommend sticking with natural wood tones to keep the farmhouse vibe going. Don’t let the price tag of brand new cabinets scare you off. A lot of times you can cut the cost in half and get the same effect with cabinet refacing.
- Open eating areas. Farmhouse kitchens typically have open eating areas, like a breakfast nook or an island with barstools. What makes this area so special is the idea of family being around and enjoying some home cooking. Speaking of home cooking, the next item is a must!
- A large farmhouse table. This is another key element of a farmhouse kitchen. A big, sturdy farmhouse table is the perfect place to gather around with your family and friends. It’s also great for hosting dinner parties! Who says you need the table set away in the dining room? Put your farmhouse table in the thick of where the action is.
- Exposed beams. Many farmhouse kitchens feature exposed beams, which add to the rustic charm of the space. In some ways, they make the room feel larger but also more intimate. Just because you don’t live in an actual farmhouse, doesn’t mean you can’t add exposed beams to your kitchen makeover.
- A brick backsplash. A brick backsplash is a great way to add texture and interest to your farmhouse kitchen.
These are the primary elements of what makes up a farmhouse-style kitchen, but you certainly don’t have to stop there.
What is farmhouse kitchen decor?
The farmhouse style is not just about the sink or table. You also have to put some work in when it comes to decorating. There are many different ways you can add farmhouse flair to your kitchen, and no one way is best. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Hang some mason jars filled with fresh flowers on the wall or from the ceiling.
- Add a chalkboard to write out the weekly menu or leave fun messages for your family.
- Display some enamelware pots and pans on an open shelf.
- Put out a farmhouse-style tablecloth and some pretty dishes for a special dinner party.
- Don’t be shy when it comes to rooster-styled decor. They are a farmhouse kitchen staple!
- Add some vintage signs and advertising posters to give the space a little bit of character.
- Some old mike crates and glass bottles are a great way to highlight farm-fresh ingredients.
These are just a few ideas, but there are endless possibilities when it comes to farmhouse kitchen decor. Just have fun with it and let your creativity shine through!
Will farmhouse go out of style?
I understand that it can be a big change when completely altering the look of the living space, especially the kitchen. Maybe you worry about trends changing and after you’ve already dished out some hard-earned cash, the farmhouse look just isn’t in style anymore. Well, don’t let that bother you for a second.
The farmhouse style has been around for centuries, and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. It’s a classic look that can be easily updated with new decor as the years go by. If anything, the farmhouse style is only becoming more popular as people are looking to add a little bit of country charm to their homes. Don’t be afraid to take the plunge, because you’ll be sure to love your farmhouse kitchen for years to come!
In fact, for the city folk who are looking for a country escape, farmhouse kitchens provide the perfect blend of rustic charm and modern amenities. Not to mention, farmhouses usually have a lot more space than your typical city apartment. So if you’re longing for a little bit of open space and fresh air, a farmhouse kitchen might just be the perfect fit for you.
The farmhouse kitchen style is all about comfort and family. It’s a warm, welcoming look that can be easily updated with new decor as the years go by. If you’re thinking about adding a farmhouse sink, some exposed beams, or a brick backsplash to your kitchen, go for it! You can’t go wrong with this classic style.
And if you’re worried about the farmhouse look going out of style, don’t be! This is a timeless look that will never go out of fashion. So go ahead and start planning your farmhouse kitchen makeover today!
Need help planning your makeover? Leave us a message and our designers will be sure to help walk you through what the process actually looks like.